Wednesday, March 25, 2009

March Of Dimes



It's so hard to believe that our Strong boy today, started out as this little peanut that couldn't breathe or eat on his own. Owen was born by C-section on a snowy day March 2,2006. I had been in the hospital for over month on bed rest due to a condition called Vasa Previa. It is a rare condition that if not prenatally diagnosed has a 90-100% mortality rate. We were lucky. I was able to carry this little time bomb without incident and he was safely born at 35 weeks. He was in respiratory distress for about 24 hours and that is about how long it took for me to see him. The photo above is the first one I got to see of him after he was delivered and brought to the NICU.
Owen was born at 5lbs 7 oz, but left the hospital at 4lbs 10oz. He was able to breathe on his own after about 24 hours, but we struggled with his food intake for days. He spent 7 days in the NICU. I was able to move to a parent room downstairs after my discharge, I did not want to leave our baby.
Owen has been growing and developing well.I thank the Doctors for their diagnoses. Our lives would have been so different without. I strongly believe that Owens strong desire to experience life and his great love of it-helped him come into being.
So we walk every year as a family for Owen and for babies just like him. So please try to make any type of donation. This is about saving babies lives every dollar counts!
Just hit our sidebar to make an online donation! Thanks

No comments: